Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Blog, My Frienemy


When I started this blog, I was feeling a little alone in Brazil. Although I had never met any of you expats, I felt like I was part of a community where I could read and share stories, and feel a little bit like I had friends again. The kind that you tell about your day and your obnoxious coworker or crazy landlord, making those terrible moments just a little more bearable.

Now that I'm not in Brazil, I'm having a little bit of a love-hate relationship with my blog. Part of me so desperately wants to log on and read about the country and city that I miss so much, and reminisce, but it sort of just makes me sad.

I found out a couple days ago that I won't be able to get a visa in February. I tried and tried (and tried) for a couple months to get ahold of UFRJ, and when I finally got some lady on the phone, she told me that the class was full and I should have contacted her in November. Unfortunately the contact number and email I had been using in November (the ones provided on the contacts page of their website) are out of service, and no one responds.

I haven't let it sink in enough to start focusing on plan B (which I don't have by the way). I might be looking at a looooooooooooong 5 more months of saudades.

5 comments:

  1. I had to delay my trip back to brazil by what I hope is only two weeks because of the visa process. Hope, hope, hope. I don't know how I'll deal with it if I have to wait longer, but I know how paperwork goes with them.

    Sending good plan B thoughts to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    The good news is that the US is seriously considering waving VISAS for Brazilians.
    The US has a rule that when 97% VISA requests are approved they waived the requirement for the specific country. Brazil is at a 95% VISA approval rate right now and the American government has already been working on the case to release the requirement for Brazilians.
    The good news for you is that Brazil has a policy of "reciprocity" so the minute the requirement is dropped for Brazilians to come in the US without a VISA, Americans will be able to go to Brazil without a VISA as well.
    It will be just like going to Canada, you just show your passport at the Airport, answer a few questions, get a stamp and you are in...
    Hopefully that will happen quickly.


    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Visas get waved. Seriously, time to let that one go and let the Brazilians invade ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that would be a dream come true. Whose ass do I have to kiss to have this happen within the next month???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,

    The trick here is Brazilians who don't qualify for a VISA should stop applying for VISAs in Brazil, that way the percentage of approved VISAs would raise and the US would automatically drop the VISA requirement for Brazilians.


    Rachel,

    I wish Brazilians would invade the US, but the way it is going, the few Brazilians left here are going back to Brazil... :(


    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...