Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Treats

Nothing says Halloween like waking up to a terrifying, deadly and tear-inducing bladder infection! Woohhoo! You see, when I was just a little mini-fetus in my mother's womb, I thought "Screw this, I don't want to be born a creepy Halloween baby, I'm coming out now". And so I did, on August 11th, 2 1/2 months shy of my Oct. 31st due date.

Since I can remember, Halloween has been SCREWING ME OVER as a little reminder that it was my fate to be born albino, with red eyes, zombie brains, and vampire teeth. So, thank you Halloween, for the little gift...a wonderful excuse to take painkillers and watch Dexter all day.

Keeping with the never-ending food theme of my blog, I thought I would do a little Brazil vs. USA Nancy's Favorite Candies competition.

BUTTERFINGERS VS. PAÇOCA


VS

Paçoca is what I would consider, the "Butterfinger"of Brazil. The insides of a Butterfinger are much harder than a Paçoca and less peanuty, but its the closest match I have found. Although I love me a good Paçoca anyday, I'm gonna have to go with Butterfinger on this one. There is nothing quite like that addictive flaky orange nougat!

PEANUT BRITTLE VS. PÉ DE MOLEQUE


VS.

This one is a tough one. Peanut Brittle, although not the yummiest of candies, is a very nostalgic candy for me. My mom loves it and we would always eat it together...meaning, I would buy it for her as a gift and then sneak into her room to steal peices. Pé de moleque on the other hand is an exciting new friend, with a cute name. I'm not sure the story behind the name which roughly translates to "boy's foot". Although this one is a hard choice, I think exciting new friend trumps klepto daughter's nostalgia. Pé de moleque it is!

MALTED MILK BALLS + MILKY WAY + FORTUNE COOKIE VS. SERENATA DE AMOR




VS.





So it was difficult finding a candy that we have in the US to even compare to the deliciousness of the Serenata de Amor. The best I could come up with would be a kinky hyrbid (trybrid?) between the smooth and creamy interior of a milky way, the crunch factor of a malted milk ball and the witty little surprise inside a fortune cookie. Either way, I think it is safe to say that the American Trybrid does not even come close to beating the Serenata de Amor.

1 comment:

  1. Wait. WAIT. i swear I found something way more similar to Butterfinger here than Pacoca! (ps where did you find pacoca with chocolate on it?!?)

    I just ate this thing similar to Butterfinger yesterday. It's definitely made by either Garota or Nestle. Could be nestle.....

    I'm going to ask Ro and find out the name. In my Hallowe'en fever I just shove the chocolate in my mouth - I dont even look at what I'm eating. Yes, it's a problem and No, I don't want to help.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...